The last couple weeks have been particularly busy.
Now I'm swimming in final papers, exams, and projects, but hoping that I will find some time to say a proper goodbye to my favorite city EVER!
(BTW this post is pretty lacking in the grammar and coherency departments due to my lack of free time)
Anyway, the party officially started November 25 when the parentals arrived in our fair city Roma. Here's a photo of them looking especially autumnal on Ponte Palatino over the Tiber River. In the background to the right is the Aventine Hill, where my campus is and their hotel was.

We, of course, did huge amounts of touring. But it was really wonderful to spend time with other people who really appreciate the history and art of Rome - plus my parents are pretty fab if you haven't had the pleasure.
Below is an awkward picture of me in front of my internship site: La Biblioteca Corsiniana dell'Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei - a pretty big name for which I perfected the art of pretending I was busy and competent in Italian.

This is the candy stand at the Christmas market in Piazza Navonna. Ah, to be young again!

Lights of the Christmas market behind the Piazza Navonna fountain

St. Peter's and the Tiber River all lit up

This past Saturday night, a group of friends and I went to our first Italian soccer game. Wow. Those Italians don't mess around with their calcio (that's soccer for all you non-Italians.)
Below are the fans presenting their banners and singing the anthem of the Roma team, pretty inspirational.

Celebratory flares were all over the stadium making it smokey for pretty much the whole game. Yay fire hazards!

We won! Which was really good since there was already a unit of armed guards between us and the opponents since they charged at us after making the first goal.

One other cool thing I did this past weekend was go to the HUGE and I really mean GINORMOUS flea market at Porta Portese in Rome. Seriously, this place has everything you could ever want (and more) for sketchily low prices. So I had a fun time walking around with my friend Maggie, while she took some pretty photos of the busy, crowded scene... until someone reached into her pocket and stole her camera! I know, its horrible! And the worst part was I essentially saw it happen, but it was all too fast for me to realize that someone had actually stolen her camera until like 2 seconds afterwards, and by then whoever did it was successively hidden in the crowd. The best part was an Italian lady consoled Maggie later saying "Don't worry! Just go to Porta Portese next week and you can buy it back!"
This week was my last tutoring session with Francesca. I learned with her that teaching (and learning) English is ridiculously difficult - seriously, there are way too many irregularities and inconsistencies. I'm so grateful I learned English as my first language. But we did have fun. Here's a silly picture of us.

While working on my Italian project I noticed this fantastic sunset. Mi mancherai Roma.

No comments:
Post a Comment