surrounding me with songs of deliverance

01 July 2007

God

A voice says "Cry out."

And I said, "What shall I cry?"


"All men are like grass,

and all their glory is like the flowers of the field.

The grass withers and the flowers fall,

because the breath of the Lord blows on them.

Surely the people are grass.

The grass withers and the flowers fall,

but the word of our God stands forever...


He tends his flock like a shepherd;

He gathers the lambs in his arms

and carries them close to his heart;

he gently leads those that have young."



I think this is such a beautiful image. Isaiah paints this grand picture of God as so large and powerful and majestic - I love the image of us being grass which eventually withers and is blown away by God (yikes! its kind of frightening!) However, at the same time, Isaiah gives another description of God as a gentle shepherd, tenderly caring for his flock, carrying them close to his heart.

Can you imagine? Regardless of what you believe about God or religion, I think that we all have some sort of mysterious longing for a God like this - who is bigger than all our problems (all the world's problems), and yet is gentle enough to hold us.

No comments:

About Me