surrounding me with songs of deliverance

29 October 2006

Barcelona!

Barcelona was the first stop on my week-long expedition some call Fall Break. In a word I would call this city vibrant: lots of bright colors, strange architecture, creative street performers, and good food.

Towards the end of my week I went on an architectural walk, with the help of my handy-dandy guide book. I found that Barcelona has this interesting combination of Gothic streets and churches from the Middle Ages next to extremely modern and creative complexes from the 20th century.

This is the cathedral La Sagrada Familia, designed by the big dog of the modernistas Antoni Gaudi.

Some funky architectural elements on the cathedral.


An apartment complex by Gaudi






Market continues outside of a Gothic church


The stark white contemporary art museum is nestled between "old world" apartment buildings with colorful laundry out the windows.



traditionalism vs. modernity - aww it sounds like an Occidental humanities paper!


Skateboarders take over the museum's plaza after hours.


Speaking of tradition... I was wandering around the Barric Gothic in Barcelona when I happened upon a large group of Barcelonans practicing the local Catalan dance the "Sardana." It's one of those cutesy circle dances where they all hold hands and kick their feet in the air. I kind of wanted to join in but held myself back. Here are some photos of the pros:





the hot band keeping it funky fresh...









One of the cool things about Barcelona is their open markets. There are several throughout the city as well as vendors along the main street La Rambla. Here are some photos of the two:



Mercat de la Boqueria





Note the pig's head.



Good times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Che Bello! haha, oh me, oh my, I hope I shall not fail greatly in my Italian come January....hehe, Hmm...suddenly level 3 college spanish is not seeming as useful as I thought it would be? :p "Learn Italian in 30 Days" here I come!
Barcelona looks like a great place to visit. :)

About Me